I’m here to help you do Veganuary your way. Cooking vegan meals might seem daunting, but egg-, meat- and dairy-free recipes can be easy and delicious. From alternative versions of your family favourites to new veg-packed ideas, I’ve got plenty of vegan recipes for you like this amazing “Super Green Pesto Pasta” that we will make together today:
- 500g pasta of choice
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup roast almonds (I get all of my nuts from th esource bulk foods!)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 packed cup baby spinach
- 1 packed cup rocket
- 1 packed cup fresh basil
- 2.5 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
Serves: 4 Prep: 15 min Cook: 10 min
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and cook your pasta according to packet instructions. Once cooked, drain and set aside. Set aside 1 cup of the pasta water.
- In the meantime, combine the pine nuts, almonds, garlic, baby spinach, rocket, basil, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and lemon zest into a blender or food processor. Blitz until you reach the consistency that you like (i.e. smooth or chunky). With the motor running on low, begin to slowly pour in your olive oil and process until well combined.
- Taste the pesto and season generously with sea salt and pepper. Transfer into the pot along with the cooked pasta and mix well. Add in a splash of pasta water as needed to make a silky sauce.
- Serve immediately with fresh basil and a sprinkle of hemp seeds. Enjoy
P.S: You can also substitute the baby spinach or rocket for any other greens you like or have on hand! Kale or Swiss chard also work great in this recipe!