I’m here to help you do Veganuary your way. Cooking vegan meals might seem daunting, but egg-, meat- and dairy-free recipes can be easy and delicious. From alternative versions of your family favourites to new veg-packed ideas, I’ve got plenty of vegan recipes for you like this amazing “Sticky Sesame Cauliflower & Épis Seasoned Vegetables” that we will make together today:
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 3/4 cups oat flour (or regular flour)
- 1/2 cup arrowroot (or corn starch)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk+ two teaspoons apple cider vinegar (mixed)
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger grated
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp chili garlic sauce (or sriracha)
- 1/2 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1 tbsp cold water
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, arrowroot starch, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and non-dairy milk/ACV. Be sure to mix until no clumps remain and it looks like batter.
- Add the cauliflower florets into the bowl and thoroughly mix to coat all of the pieces.
- Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 30 minutes.
- To prepare the sauce: In a bowl, whisk in the sesame oil, grated ginger, maple syrup, soy sauce, rice vinegar and chili garlic sauce(or sriracha) —then set aside
- Add minced garlic to a sauté pan with olive oil. Sauté for until lightly golden brown.
- Add prepared sauce into pan and let simmer over low heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the arrowroot powder and cold water. Pour into the pot with the sauce.
- Let simmer over low heat until thick, whisking occasionally to prevent any clumps from forming. Once it thickens, remove from heat.
- When the cauliflower is done, let cool for about 5 minutes and then coat with the sauce. Once coated add cauliflower back into baking sheet with lined parchment paper and put back in the oven for 5 minutes to crisp up.
(**optional- garnish with black or white sesame seeds).