Plant Based recipes have always been a staple food in my household. They’re such a fresh, flavoursome dish and are a great meal to have with family and friends. One of my favourite recipes among them is “Baked Orange Cauliflower Bites” that they’re incredibly yummy and flavorful. And the abundance of fresh vegetables and herbs give these delicious vegan recipe, taste and texture:
- 1 small head of cauliflower, washed & cut into florets
- cilantro stems for garnish
- oil for cooking
- handful of scallions or cilantro
- Butter: (Adjust the amount depending on the size of your cauliflower)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour [~94g]
- 3/4 cup cold water [~175ml]
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- a few shakes of white pepper
- Juice of 2 oranges (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce/tamari [22ml]
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup or 1 tablespoon sugar (adjust depending on the sweetness of your orange)
- cornstarch slurry (mix 1 tablespoon corn starch in 2 tablespoons water)
Pat cauliflower florets dry with a paper towel or let them air dry in a colander.
Whisk together batter ingredients in a bowl until well combined. The batter should be thick enough to coat the florets
Preheat oven to 450°F [230°C]. Dredge cauliflower florets in the batter, shake off excess & place them on a lined baking sheet.
Brush or spray each floret with oil & bake until golden brown for about 20 mins, flipping halfway. (You can also turn the broiler to low & broil for about 3 mins to get the roasted look at the top)
Place the sauce ingredients in a saucepan, turn on the heat & bring it to a low simmer. Stir & cook until sauce is slightly thickened.
Quickly toss florets with the sauce & serve immediately with a sprinkle of chopped cilantro or scallions. Best paired with rice too. Enjoy!