1 head cabbage, coredwater to cover
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1 1/2 pounds ground pork
1 1/2 cups cooked white rice
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 2/3 tablespoons white sugar
- Place the cabbage in a stockpot with enough water to cover.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon salt to the water and cabbage.
- Bring water to a boil over medium-high heat. Turn cabbage every 2-3 minutes and remove leaves that separate from cabbage and place in a strainer to cool. Boil until all the leaves have cooked, about 15 minutes.
- Reserve 12 oz. of cabbage water.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Trim thick center vein off of bottom of each cabbage leaf.
- In a large bowl thoroughly mix together, ground beef, ground pork, rice, chopped onion, fresh parsley, egg, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Lightly pack a small amount of meat mixture and place in the center of the cabbage leaf.
- Fold sides over the filling and start at the stem and roll the cabbage up until the meat is encased. Repeat with remaining leaves and filling.
- Cut the leftover leaves into pieces and place into the bottom of a roasting pan.
- Layer the stuffed cabbage rolls over the cut leaves.
- In a bowl, mix the tomato sauce, reserved cabbage water, white vinegar, and white sugar.
- Pour the tomato sauce mixture over the cabbage rolls.
- Cover roasting pan with aluminum foil.
- Bake in preheated oven until the ground beef mixture is no longer pink in the center, about 2 1/2 hours. Baste stuffed cabbage rolls every hour.