- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) package egg noodles
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, or more to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir beef in the hot skillet until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes; drain and discard grease. Mix sugar, salt, garlic salt and tomato sauce into ground beef; simmer until flavors blend, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat, cover skillet, and cool to room temperature.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook egg noodles in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked through but firm to the bite, about 5 minutes. Drain and cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9×13-inch casserole dish.
- Mix sour cream, cream cheese, and onion in a bowl.
- Scoop half the noodles into the prepared casserole dish; top with half the sour cream mixture. Spoon half the ground beef mixture atop sour cream layer. Repeat layering with remaining ingredients. Top casserole with Cheddar cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until Cheddar cheese has browned, 25 to 30 minutes.