- 1 ounce dried chipotle chile pepper
- 1 ounce dried ancho chile pepper
- ½ cup water
- ½ red onion, cut into small chunks
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ½ pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- Place chipotle chile pepper and ancho chile pepper in a bowl; pour in water. Cover bowl and let sit until peppers are softened, at least 10 to 12 hours. Drain water and remove seeds from peppers.
- Blend chile peppers, red onion, garlic, sea salt, cumin, oregano, and black pepper in a blender until a coarse paste forms; add olive oil and blend until marinade is smooth.
- Pound chicken thighs flat with a meat mallet and trim excess skin. Place chicken in a resealable plastic bag and add marinade. Turn chicken several times to coat. Seal bag and marinate at least 8 hours.
- Preheat an outdoor grill with top and bottom plates for medium-high heat. Remove chicken from bag and discard marinade.
- Cook chicken on the preheated grill until no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, 5 to 10 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Cut into strips.